Hope-Mixed media

I finally got a chance to play with my newly purchased products from Andy Skinner and Deco. I fancied a bit of metallic alchemy on grey board which I must admit had me mesmerised when Andy was on Hochanda. Today’s mixed media project is the first of two mega plays where I tinkered about using the techniques described by Andy. I decided to do a steampunk canvas and a slightly more feminine plaque (to be added later). I got so carried away experimenting that I forgot to take photos as I went along! Sorry… but I have set out the ingredients  so you’ll get the general idea. This is how it looks:

image

 

Along with an A4 canvas and some salt this is what I used:

 

 

 

The elements:

I started with the grey board and mdf shapes. I painted the lock, key and door fittings in gold metallic. I then painted a layer of paynes grey on top, adding salt on top before it dried. I left overnight .When the salt was brushed off I highlighted parts using the quin’ gold and prussian blue.I then dabbed the patina antiquing cream here and there along with the pebeo renaissance gold gilding wax.

The mdf elements used a base of grey with white antiquing cream on top and a quick wash of prussian blue. I wiped some of with a baby wipe and highlighted in gold metallic. I also stamped the butterfly in gold with the script stamp.

Some of the other elements used a combination of the paints (dirty wash) just to tone in with the other colours.

The photograph was torn and inked with walnut stain distress ink.

I added a couple of metal cogs that I happened to have for added interest.

The background canvas:

I chose a paper that toned with the elements, cut it to size and glued to the canvas with decoupage glue.

I stamped the large word stamp in the centre in dark blue and the corner stamp in dark blue and brown ink.

I stencilled the clock faces down one side of the canvas using rich red gilding polish. I then stencilled two more times in dark blue and green patina.

I sealed the entire surface with decoupage glue and sprinkled a tiny amount of teal glitter here and there.

Finally I arranged the elements on top and stuck down using a glue gun and tacky glue. The edges were highlighted  in gold and a few bronze pearl drops  finished the piece.

The Gallery:

 

 

 

img_4127

I really enjoyed using these products. I hope you like the effects. Happy to answer any questions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s